One of the newer additions to Aldi’s rotating selection of limited-time Special Buys is mochi ice cream.
Mochi ice cream, according to Wikipedia, is a dessert made from Japanese mochi (pounded sticky rice) formed into a dumpling shape with an ice cream filling. The outside of the mochi ice cream ball is dusted with potato or cornstarch to keep it from sticking during handling.
Several times a year, Aldi sells mochi ice cream under the My/Mo brand, which is a company based in Los Angeles, California. My/Mo Mochi Ice Cream is not exclusive to Aldi. In my area, it’s also sold at Target for $4.99 per box at the time of publication and it is sold at a regional upscale grocery chain.
My/Mo Mochi Ice Cream sold for $4.79 for 9.1 oz. at Aldi at the time of publication. One box contains six pieces of mochi ice cream, or six 110-calorie servings. The mochi ice cream is described as “premium ice cream wrapped in a sweet, soft dough.”
Flavors at my Aldi store at the time of publication included double chocolate (chocolate ice cream with chocolaty bits), ripe strawberry, salted caramel, sweet mango, and green tea. My family has tried all of the flavors available at Aldi except the salted caramel. Our favorites are ripe strawberry and double chocolate (the harder chocolate bits add extra interesting texture). We didn’t care much for green tea, which I prefer to drink rather than eat in ice cream form, but perhaps it’s an acquired taste in ice cream.
My/Mo’s website indicates they also produce other flavors, including vanilla bean, cookies and cream, mint chocolate chip, and even more exotic flavors such as chocolate sundae, dulce de leche, vanilla blueberry, and s’mores, but I’ve never seen any of those flavors for sale at Aldi.
The boxes have instructions for “how to enjoy.”
- Keep frozen until My/Mo time.
- Let mochi sit a minute or two.
Be aware that this mochi ice cream contains milk and egg, and some flavors (including the double chocolate) contain soy. All the flavors also are processed in a facility that processes peanuts and tree nuts.
Nutrition information varies depending on the flavor, but all the My/Mo Mochi Ice Cream appears to have 110 calories per piece. The double chocolate flavor has 3 grams of total fat (5% of your daily value), 10 mg of cholesterol (3% DV), 20 mg of sodium (1% DV), and 19 grams of total carbs with 11 grams of sugar. The ripe strawberry flavor has 2.5 grams of total fat (4% DV), 10 mg of cholesterol (3% DV), 15 mg of sodium (1% DV), and 18 grams of total carbs with 11 grams of sugar.
So how does mochi ice cream taste? Perhaps more important, what is it like to eat mochi ice cream?
It’s admittedly a bit strange at first. The sticky rice dumpling wrapper surrounding the ice cream reminds me of uncooked bread dough. It’s squishy and chewy. The ice cream inside is excellent; it’s smooth and has good flavor. My kids became big fans the first time they tried it, and they always ask for it if they see it at Aldi. Mochi ice cream has slowly grown on me, and I’ve come to appreciate and enjoy it because it is unique. I usually pick up a box whenever it shows up at Aldi.
My/Mo Mochi Ice Cream is ice cream wrapped in a sticky rice dumpling. It comes in several flavors and is available at other retailers such as Target. The doughy outer covering is one of a kind, and this dessert is worth a try if you like ice cream or if you’re a fan of international-inspired foods.