This post contains affiliate links.
We tend to believe that ALDI Finds (Special Buys) are worth waiting for. In fact, we think part of the fun is waiting for them to come around again. It’s a bit like Christmas.
But sometimes you can’t wait. Maybe something important is coming up and you need it now. Maybe you’re having a big dinner and you need to cut down on the carbs just a little. In this case, you need an alternative.
The Aldi Product: Mama Cozzi’s Cauliflower Crust Pizza
- Cost: $5.99
- Weight: 11.64 ounces
- When We See It: It can show up any time, but the last time we saw a version of it was in October
- Our Verdict: “The ALDI Find (Special Buy) Mama Cozzi’s Cauliflower Crust Pizza is a lower-carb option for pizza fans. It tastes a lot like other traditional frozen pizzas on the market and does not have a cauliflower taste. It’s kind of pricey (you’re paying for the fancy, health-conscious crust), and it’s not that big, but it’s an option for people looking to eat fewer carbs.”
- Full Review: here
For comparison, we looked at three possible alternatives to the Mama Cozzi’s version. If you have any experience with these — or if you have other suggestions of your own — feel free to leave your thoughts in the comments.
1. Caulipower Frozen Pizza
- Sellers: Target, Amazon
- Weight: 11.6 ounces
- Current Price: $6.89 (Target), $12.50 (Amazon via Caulipower)
- Current Rating: no ratings on Target.com; 4.1 stars out of 5 (146 ratings) on Amazon
- Thoughts: Caulipower is a brand sold at a number of different places, including several of the regional grocers in our area as well as Target. It’s also sold on Amazon, although for a lot more money. The pizzas — which have pretty lively box covers — come in a few flavors, and by and large they are well-reviewed, with 68% of Amazon customers giving the pizzas 5 stars. Most of the criticisms on Amazon have to do with the shipping of the pizza rather than the pizza itself, a problem you won’t have if you buy it in-store.
2. Trader Joe’s Gluten-Free Cheese Pizza With a Cauliflower Crust
- Seller: Trader Joe’s
- Weight: 12 ounces
- Current Price: $4.99
- Thoughts: Aldi’s distant cousin Trader Joe’s launched a cauliflower crust pizza back in 2017 and has been selling it ever since. Because it’s Trader Joe’s, there isn’t a massive body of reviews out there, but the ones that are out there are a little polarizing. TJ’s-focused blog What’s Good at Trader Joe’s gave it 8 spoons out of 10, pointing out that their child ate half of it and noting that it is superior to TJ’s standalone cauliflower crust. On the other hand, blogger Pizza Blonde called it “bad frozen pizza,” putting it on par with Tony’s. We might wade into this debate ourselves some day, but for now we’ll let you sort it out.
3. 365 Everyday Value Cauliflower Pizza Crust
- Sellers: Amazon (Whole Foods)
- Weight: 8 ounces
- Current Price: $5.99
- Current Rating: 3.9 out of 5 stars (34 ratings) on Amazon
- Thoughts: If you prefer to DIY your pizza, there are plenty of pizza crusts out there. This one, sold by Whole Foods and available thorough the grocer’s parent company Amazon, is an option. The reviews are mixed, though, with more than a few people complaining about the price given that it’s just a crust.