EDITOR’S NOTE: Updated periodically with new information.
Aldi’s popular wine and cheese advent calendars are returning to stores November 6, 2019, and this year Aldi has added a beer Advent calendar and a dog treat Advent calendar along with its traditional lineup of chocolate- and toy-filled advent calendars.
The discount grocer introduced the wine Advent calendar and cheese Advent calendar last year, in 2018, and eager shoppers lined up outside many stores to get their hands on the calendars the first day they hit the shelves. The Festive Collection Wine Advent Calendars sold out in a matter of minutes (with some soon appearing for resale on eBay), while the Happy Farms Preferred Cheese Advent Calendars were gone by the end of the day.
Clearly, the calendars were such a hit that Aldi decided to do it again this year.
This year’s calendars include:
Festive Collection Wine Advent Calendar
Aldi’s Festive Collection Wine Advent Calendar will feature 24 wines from popular growing regions around the world. The 2019 calendar will cost $69.99, the same as the 2018 version. There was a limit of one per customer last year, and there will be a similar limit this year. Managers we’ve spoken to indicate that some, if not many, stores will use a ticket system.
In 2018, there were 12 wines available, with 2 of each wine in the box. In 2019, there are a full 24 different wines, each in an 187 mL bottle. According to Aldi, they are:
- 1 x Malbec, Argentina, 12.5%
- 1 x Chardonnay, Argentina, 12.5%
- 1 x Shiraz, Australia, 13.5%
- 1 x Red Blend, Australia, 13.5%
- 1 x Chardonnay, Australia, 12.5%
- 1 x Merlot, Chile, 12.5%
- 1 x Cabernet Sauvignon, Chile, 12.5%
- 1 x Rosé, Chile, 12%
- 1 x Sauvignon Blanc, Chile, 12%
- 1 x Tempranillo, Spain, 12.5%
- 1 x Red Blend, Spain, 13.5%
- 1 x Cava Rosé Brut, Spain, 11.5%
- 1 x Carignan, France, 12.5%
- 1 x Merlot Rosé, France, 13%
- 1 x Colombard, France, 11.5%
- 1 x Viognier, France, 13%
- 1 x Red Blend, Italy, 12%
- 1 x Pinot Grigio, Italy, 12%
- 1 x Pinot Grigio Blush, Italy, 12%
- 1 x Prosecco Extra Dry, Italy, 11%
- 1 x Sauvignon Blanc, New Zealand, 12.5%
- 1 x White Zinfandel, U.S.A., 11%
- 1 x Shiraz, South Africa, 13%
- 1 x Chenin Blanc, South Africa, 12.5%
Note that not all stores sell alcohol because of state and local laws. Aldi notes which stores don’t sell beer and / or wine in its store locator.
Emporium Selection Advent Cheese Calendar
The cheese calendar is a bit different this year, as it’s not being sold under Aldi’s house brand Happy Farms. Instead, Aldi is selling the Emporium Selection Advent Cheese Calendar. The 2019 cheese calendar is $14.99, up $2 from the 2018 price tag of $12.99, and there was a limit of three per customer in 2018. We expect a limit of 1-3 per customer this year. We don’t know exactly what cheeses will be in the 2019 calendar — Aldi’s website isn’t specific — but the 2018 calendar had Cheddar, Gouda, Edam, Havarti and Red Leicester, hailing from the United Kingdom, Holland, and Denmark.
Aldi Beer Advent Calendar
This is an interesting new development this year. We expect it to be as popular as the wine calendar and to disappear from shelves just as quickly. It will have a limit of 1-3 per customer depending on the location (we’re seeing different reports from different places) and may use a ticket system like the wine. It will retail for $49.99, and come with 24 11.2-ounce bottles. Some of the beers appear once, while others appear twice.
According to Aldi’s website, the beers include:
- 2 x O’Shea’s Irish Stout, 4.5% ABV
- 1 x O’Shea’s Grapefruit India Pale Ale, 5% ABV
- 1 x O’Shea’s Irish Red Ale, 4.3% ABV
- 1 x O’Shea’s Double India Pale Ale, 7.5% ABV
- 1 x O’Shea’s Irish Lager, 4.4% ABV
- 2 x Wernesgruner Dark Schwarzbier, 4.9% ABV
- 2 x Wernesgruner German Pilsner, 4.9% ABV
- 2 x Licher Hefeweizen, 5.4% ABV
- 2 x Boot Tread Amber Ale, 5.2% ABV
- 1 x 1758 Belgian India Pale Ale, 6.5% ABV
- 2 x Broegel Bock, 4.4% ABV
- 2 x Sezoens Dry Hopped Blonde Ale, 6% ABV
- 2 x Imperium Belgian Lager, 5% ABV
- 2 x Kinroo Belgian White Ale, 5% ABV
- 2 x Bacher Lager, 5% ABV
Omeg Snax Dog Advent Calendar
That’s right. Aldi is selling a calendar packed with 24 dog treats, so your dog can help you celebrate the season. According to Aldi, the calendar treats are made from human-grade Atlantic salmon and sweet potatoes, with no corn, wheat, or soy. It is also listed as antibiotic-free and GMO-free.
Choceur Advent Calendar
Read our review of this calendar here. It’s an inexpensive kid favorite that our family purchases every year. We used to purchase this calendar for 99 cents, but in recent years the price has increased. This year it is $1.39.
Choceur Premium Advent Calendar
This calendar has been a staple at Aldi for years. It sells for $4.99 and is a fancier version of the basic Choceur Advent Calendar.
Moser Roth 24 Days of Christmas Nutcracker Advent Calendar
Aldi is selling a Nutcracker-themed Advent calendar this year under the Moser Roth label for $7.99. Moser Roth (or Moser-Roth) is a German chocolate brand produced by German sweets producer Storck for Aldi.
Mattel Hot Wheels or Cars Advent Calendar
In recent years Aldi has sold advent calendars that contain small toys for each day, often under licensed brands like Mattel or Cars, as is the case here. Each costs $16.99, and both types have 24 pieces.
The Hot Wheels calendar features 8 vehicles and 16 accessories, as well as a fold-out playmat. The Cars set comes with various cars and accessories and builds a complete play collection when done.
Spin Master Paw Patrol Advent Calendar
Perfect for the preschool crowd, this $19.99 calendar has 24 pieces, allowing kids to build the world of Adventure Bay.
Mattel Barbie or Toy Story 4 Advent Calendar
Each of these calendars retails for $24.99. The Barbie set appears to come with a full Barbie doll and also includes a dress, as well as shoes, necklaces, cuffs / bangles, earrings, purses / clutches, and other extras. Special among the set are a pink gem bracelet adorned with a Barbie silo head and a ring. The Toy Story 4 set includes characters from the movie as well as colorful accessories.
Disney Book Advent Calendar
This $9.99 calendar is different, with 24 books, one for each day of the Advent season. It looks like a nice change of pace from the toy-filled calendars. Each paperback book is packaged in a sleeve so you don’t know what you’re getting until you open it.
Sparkling Wine Countdown to the New Year
In addition to its line of Advent calendars, Aldi is also selling a wine countdown on December 4th. It will cost $24.99 and include seven assorted wines, probably meant to be consumed between Christmas and New Year’s Day. Wines in the box include:
- 1 x Brut Rosé, France
- 1 x Moscato d’Asti, Italy
- 1 x Cava, Spain
- 1 x Prosecco, Italy
- 1 x Sparkling Rosé Extra Dry, Italy
- 1 x Sparkling Chardonnay ICE, France
- 1 x Sparkling Pinot Noir ICE, France