If you’re anything like us, there have been times you’ve needed groceries and wondered if your favorite German supermarket was open or not when you needed them. Even on a normal day, this can be important. And it can get even more important — and more complicated — if you need to get your grocery shopping done before a big holiday gathering.
Aldi’s hours are not as simple as you might think, and they can vary among stores in the same area. That’s true of both normal hours and holiday hours.
So in this post, we’re going to try and break it down by dealing with four big questions:
- When does Aldi open on normal days?
- When does Aldi close on normal days?
- On what days does Aldi have modified or limited hours?
- On what days is Aldi closed?
When Does Aldi Open on Normal Days?
On a normal day, nearly every Aldi grocery store in the United States opens at either 8:30 a.m. or 9:00 a.m. local time.
Most stores open at 9 a.m., seven days a week. Some stores, though, open at 8:30 a.m., seven days a week.
There are also some Aldi stores that open at 8:30 a.m. one or two days a a week — usually Tuesdays and Thursdays — so that vulnerable shoppers can shop the first hour. This policy was created during the pandemic, and while most stores no longer use it, a few still do.
I can’t find any real pattern to what stores might be 9 a.m. stores versus 8:30 a.m. stores. I found large cities where some stores were 8:30 a.m. stores and some were 9 a.m. stores, and I found small towns that might be one or the other. It does seem, though, that more recent Aldi expansion stores, like those in California and Arizona, seem to be strictly 9 a.m. stores.
Because store hours can vary, you can find your store’s specific opening time through the store locator on the Aldi website. Keep in mind that Instacart delivery and curbside service use the same hours that the local store does, so if the store isn’t open for the day yet, Instacart and curbside aren’t available yet, either.
When Does Aldi Close on Normal Days?
On a normal day, most Aldi stores in the United States close at either 8:00 p.m. or 9:00 p.m. local time, with a small number of stores that close at 7:00 p.m.
There often seem to be regional patterns to when Aldi stores close. Along the East Coast, for example, most stores close at 8:00 p.m., while in California virtually all stores close at 9 p.m.
There are places where different stores in the same region can have different closing times. In Chicago, most stores close at 9 p.m. while some close at 8 p.m. In St. Louis, a few stores close at 7 p.m. while most close at 8 p.m. In a given region, if a store closes earlier, it’s usually either a smaller store or a store in a more urban location. Not all small or urban stores close early, though.
I don’t see much connection between opening and closing times. Just because a store has an earlier opening time doesn’t mean it will have an earlier closing time. It just varies from store to store and area to area.
One other note: there are a small number of stores nationwide that close at 9 p.m. every day but Sunday. At those stores, Sunday closing time usually falls at 8 p.m.
Again, because store hours can vary, you can find your store’s specific closing time using the Aldi store locator. Also as before, once a store closes, you can’t order Instacart delivery or curbside service for that day.
On What Days Does Aldi Have Modified or Limited Hours?
Aldi operates with modified hours on certain holidays. Those modified hours nearly always apply to when the store closes, not when it opens. In other words, if Aldi is open on a specific holiday with modified hours, it will open at the usual time but will close earlier.
Here are holidays that Aldi has limited or modified hours for:
- Easter Sunday in California and Arizona: While Aldi is closed on Easter Sunday in most areas, in California and Arizona some of its stores are open on Easter, either with normal hours or modified hours. Those stores with modified hours usually close at 6 p.m.
- Memorial Day: Open with limited operating hours. Closing time varies by store, but many seem to close at 6 p.m. (Until about 2017 or 2018, most Aldi stores were closed on Memorial Day, but that is no longer the case.)
- Independence Day (Fourth of July): Open with limited operating hours. Closing times vary by store, with some closing at 4 p.m. and some at 6 p.m.
- Labor Day: Open with limited operating hours. Closing time varies by store, but many seem to close at 6 p.m.
- Christmas Eve: Open with limited operating hours. Many stores close at 4 p.m.
- New Year’s Eve: Open with limited operating hours. Many stores close between 6 p.m. and 7 p.m.
On the other hand, there are a number of holidays when Aldi is open with normal hours. Here are some examples:
- Martin Luther King, Jr. Day: Open with normal operating hours.
- President’s Day: Open with normal operating hours.
- St. Patrick’s Day: Open with normal operating hours.
- Good Friday: Open with normal operating hours.
- Veteran’s Day: Open with normal operating hours.
- The Day After Thanksgiving (Black Friday): Open with normal operating hours.
Because Aldi’s holiday hours can vary, you can usually see modified times for a holiday in the weeks leading up to that holiday in the Aldi store locator.
On What Days is Aldi Closed?
Aldi isn’t closed often, even on what some people would consider to be a major federal holiday. However, all Aldi stores are closed on three major holidays every year and most Aldi stores are closed on a fourth. They are:
- New Year’s Day: All stores are closed.
- Easter Sunday: Closed in most areas except some stores in California and Arizona.
- Thanksgiving: All stores are closed.
- Christmas Day: All stores are closed.
Keep in mind that when Aldi is closed, it doesn’t offer any services on that day. Instacart does not deliver on days Aldi is closed, and curbside pickup is also not available on those days.
If you want to see if a California or Arizona store is open on Easter, you can find out in the weeks leading up to Easter on the Aldi store locator.
I guess I am lucky. The Aldi near me opens at 8 am. Every day. When it first opened about 3 years ago It opened at 9. A little over a year ago a Lidl opened a few miles away. It opens at 8. Shortly after that Aldi changed to 8. Its been this way every since. The sign on the door does say temporary hours though but I hope it stays this way.