Over the last few years, Aldi has conducted an annual customer survey to determine its “fan favorites” — the most popular Aldi products in select categories. This morning Aldi announced its 2021 winners, which the grocer said was the result of the input from over 360,000 customers. That’s almost double the number of entrants Aldi reported receiving in 2020.
That wasn’t the only change from last year. Aldi cut down the number of categories from 20 to 10, and they revamped the categories they used.
The categories and winners are listed below, along with links to anything we’ve reviewed. An asterisk (*) denotes a repeat winner.
- Cult Favorite: Appleton Farms Premium Sliced Bacon*
- Stream & Snack: Clancy’s Kettle Chips*
- Morning Meeting Must-Have: Specially Selected Brioche and French Toast Bagels
- Guilt-Free Go-To: Friendly Farms Almond, Coconut & Oat Milk*
- Guess Who’s Back: Huntington Home 3 Wick Candles
- Mama Knows Best: Mama Cozzi’s Pizza Kitchen Take and Bake Deli Pizza*
- Little Fan Favorite: Happy Farms String Cheese*
- Sip & Celebrate: PurAqua Belle Vie Sparkling Flavored Water*
- Dinner Delight: Fresh Family Pack Chicken Breasts
- Keeping it Fresh: Strawberries*
This year, Aldi offered some behind-the-scenes numbers on the competition. According to the Aldi press release, the “Guess Who’s Back” seasonal product category was a close one, with Huntington Home 3 Wick Candles narrowly beating out holiday Advent calendars and the Emporium Selection Cheese Assortments.
Other highlights included Appleton Farms Premium Sliced Bacon edging out Specially Selected Brioche Buns and Kirkwood Breaded Chicken Breast Fillets (“red bag chicken”) in the “Cult Favorite” category and strawberries beating 2020 produce champ avocadoes by just over 800 votes in the “Keeping it Fresh” category.
The biggest landslide appears to be Happy Farms String Cheese, which won more than 50% of the votes in the “Little Fan Favorites” category.