Aldi is a discount grocery store with origins in Germany. So it’s no surprise that a couple of times a year, the grocer sells foods that are German or German-inspired. German week usually comes around once in the spring and once in the fall. It’s a fantastic time to try new foods or stock up on old favorites such as schnitzel, whole grain or sweet mustards, spaetzle, jaffa cakes, potato and cabbage dishes, German cream cakes, and more.
Every time German week rolls around at Aldi, I pick out a couple of new things to sample. This spring, I bought several types of Indulgent Cakes.
Deutsche Küche Donauwelle and Bienenstich Indulgent Cakes cost $3.79 per package at the time of publication. They are a product of Germany.
These are two different types of cake, and both live up to their names and are absolutely indulgent, with plenty of calories, fat, carbs, and sugar. It’s a good thing Aldi only sells them a couple of times a year.
Donauwelle cake means “Danube wave” in German, and it traditionally consists of swirls of white and chocolate pound cake with sour cherries and a buttercream and chocolate glaze on top. Donauwelle is also sometimes called Snow White cake.
Bienenstich, also known as bee sting cake, features a sweet plain cake with a topping of caramelized almonds, and it’s filled with vanilla custard, buttercream, or cream.
Both are traditional desserts popular in Germany, and Donauwelle is also popular in Austria.
When Aldi stocks these cakes, they’re typically found in the limited-buy freezer section. These should be kept frozen until you’re ready to serve them, and they should be thawed before serving. To thaw, remove your desired number of servings from all packaging. Thaw at room temperature for 3-4 hours. Refrigerate any uneaten thawed cake, and consume within three days.
My family loved both of these cakes. They’re very rich, with soft, moist cake layers and smooth cream fillings. We were divided on which cake was the best. It depends on whether you prefer vanilla or chocolate and cherries. You really can’t go wrong with either of these indulgent cakes, though.
Keep reading for more information about each type of cake.
Deutsche Küche Donauwelle Indulgent Cake
The package describes this as “4 individual slices of delicious traditional German dessert with swirls of chocolate flavored and golden cake filled with juicy Morello cherries, topped with cream, and finished with a thin layer of chocolate flavored icing.”
This uses Rainforest Alliance certified cocoa. If you’re looking out for allergens, it contains milk, eggs, and wheat. It may contain tree nuts. The box also warns that stones are a natural part of cherries, and while every care is taken to remove stones, some stones may still be found in this product.
One serving (120 grams) has 320 calories, 18 grams of total fat (23% DV), 5 grams of saturated fat (26% DV), 115 mg of sodium (5% DV), 35 grams of total carbohydrates (13% DV), 25 grams of total sugars, and 16 grams of added sugars (32% DV).
Deutsche Küche Bienenstich Indulgent Cake
The package describes this as “4 individual slices of delicious traditional German dessert with two layers of golden cake filled with vanilla flavored mousse and topped with caramelized almond flakes.”
If you’re looking out for allergens, this contains milk, eggs, wheat, coconuts, and almonds. It may contain other tree nuts.
One serving (96 grams) has 290 calories, 16 grams of total fat (21% DV), 8 grams of saturated fat (38% DV), 205 mg of sodium (9% DV), 31 grams of total carbohydrates (11% DV), 12 grams of total sugars, and 10 grams of added sugars (20% DV).
Deutsche Küche Donauwelle and Bienenstich Indulgent Cakes are rich and very much a treat, as their name suggests. The Donauwelle cakes feature chocolate and golden cake with cherries, cream, and a thin layer of chocolate icing. The Bienenstich cakes feature golden cake with vanilla filling and caramelized almond flakes on top. Both are delicious, and if you’re wanting to try some traditional German desserts, these are worth a look.