Every time German week rolls around at Aldi, I look for new German or German-inspired foods to try. Aldi originated in Germany, so it’s always intriguing to sample some of the cuisine from my favorite discount grocery store’s home country.
German week at Aldi usually is designated for one week in the spring and one week in the fall. This is the time of year when you’re likely to spot German foods such as:
- Cabbage and potato dishes
- German style pickles
- Sweet mustard
- Whole grain mustard
- Peanut puffs
- Doppelino sandwich biscuits
- Jaffa cakes
- Cream cakes
- Doppel keks
- Indulgent cakes
I have previously tried some of the savory strudel options — Spinach and Ricotta, or Artichoke and Cheese — at Aldi during German week. Most recently, I tried some of their sweet dessert-style strudel. The dessert strudel comes in three flavors: Apple, Fruits of the Forest, and Caramel Apple. The Apple version comes with raisins, which I don’t care much for, so I opted to purchase the Fruits of the Forest and Caramel Apple varieties.
Deutsche Küche Strudel cost $2.99 for a 19.2-ounce package at the time of publication. These are a product of Germany, and they’re sold frozen. The box describes the Fruits of the Forest strudel as “2 delicious traditional German flaked puff pastries filled with apples and a selection of sweet and tart berries,” while the Caramel Apple strudel is “2 delicious traditional German flaked puff pastries filled with apples and caramel sauce.”
These are Aldi Finds, which means you can only buy them at Aldi for a short time. Each store gets one shipment, and after that sells out, they’re gone until the next German week at Aldi. As mentioned above, German week typically happens at Aldi once during the spring and once during the fall, around the time of Oktoberfest. Aldi does not offer online ordering for products that are not in stock at your local store.
One box contains two strudels, which constitute six 91-gram servings.
These should be kept frozen until you’re ready to bake them.
To bake, preheat a conventional oven to 425 degrees (or preheat a convection oven to 400 degrees). Remove the product from all packaging. Place frozen strudels on a foil-lined baking tray in the center of the oven. Bake for 30-40 minutes (conventional oven) or 25-30 minutes (convection oven) or until golden brown. Let strudels cool before serving. Do not microwave the strudels.
I baked my strudels for 30 minutes in a conventional oven, but next time I might bake for only 25 to reduce browning.
The box offers a “chef’s tip” to serve with ice cream. I never turn down an opportunity to serve any dessert a la mode, so I picked up a carton of Aldi Specially Selected Super Premium Ice Cream to serve with our strudel. This made a good dessert on a cool evening.
My husband and I liked the Fruits of the Forest strudel flavor the best. The tart and sweet berries go well with the flaky pastry, and with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top, it’s divine. The Fruits of the Forest Flavor also has large crunchy sugar granules sprinkled on top, which is a nice extra. My kids, on the other hand, liked the Caramel Apple strudel best. It feels a little less traditional with the addition of caramel flavor, but it’s a perfectly good dessert as well. Both flavors have a decent but not large amount of filling.
Keep reading for more information about the two strudel flavors I purchased.
Deutsche Küche Fruits of the Forest Strudel
One serving has 240 calories, 12 grams of total fat (16% DV), 7 grams of saturated fat (33% DV), 100 mg of sodium (4% DV), 29 grams of total carbohydrates (11% DV), 12 grams of total sugars, and 9 grams of added sugars (18% DV).
If you’re looking out for allergens, this contains wheat. It may contain egg, milk, and tree nuts.
Deutsche Küche Caramel Apple Strudel
One serving has 260 calories, 14 grams of total fat (18% DV), 7 grams of saturated fat (37% DV), 90 mg of sodium (4% DV), 28 grams of total carbohydrates (10% DV), 11 grams of total sugars, and 7 grams of added sugars (14% DV).
If you’re looking out for allergens, this contains milk and wheat. It may contain egg and tree nuts.
Deutsche Küche Strudel comes in Apple Fruits of the Forest, and Caramel Apple flavors. We tried the Fruits of the Forest and Caramel Apple ones. Our family was split on which flavor was best. I personally prefer the Fruits of the Forest flavor, which includes apples, blackberries, raspberries, and blueberries. This strudel is good on its own, and it’s even better served with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. If you can only buy a few products at Aldi during the store’s twice-yearly German week, these strudels are worth getting.