EDITOR’S NOTE: Updated May 2020 with additional information and new developments.
Coronavirus — more technically known as COVID-19 — has been a major news story for much of early 2020. On March 11th, the World Health Organization officially declared the coronavirus outbreak a pandemic, meaning it is now considered a worldwide problem.
How should American shoppers respond? At times, shoppers seem worried … so worried, in fact, that there have been numerous reports of shoppers raiding stores for certain staple items. (Toilet paper seems to be a common target.) Others have argued that the response is overblown.
Either way, we think it’s useful to talk about what Aldi brings to the table for dealing with infectious diseases, be it coronavirus or anything else. Here, then, is a roundup of some of our posts that might be useful.
- How to Navigate Aldi with the New In-Store Limitations. We offer tips to make your shopping trip as efficient and safe as possible.
- Is Aldi Cutting Back on its Aldi Finds? We noticed Aldi’s print ad got a little shorter for a few weeks while grocers focused on stocking essentials like milk, eggs, meat, and toilet paper.
- Aldi to Limit Number of People Inside Stores. In early April, Aldi put out a press release announcing new store occupancy limits and what that would entail.
- We’ve Stopped Taking In-Store Photos of Aldi Products. Here’s Why. Taking photos in stores is common on social media platforms, especially Instagram. We explain why we’ve hit the pause button on this practice.
- How Might Aldi and Trader Joe’s Be Affected by the Coronavirus Outbreak? We look at how the stores might be impacted.
- Aldi and Trader Joe’s Respond to the Coronavirus Situation. From the grocers themselves.
- Aldi Changes Tuesday and Thursday Opening Hours for Vulnerable Customers. For senior citizens, pregnant mothers, and those with health conditions.
- 24 Aldi Products That are Good to Have During Emergencies. We’ve got a laundry list of products that are nice to have around.
- Source Hand Soap. Prevention is the best defense against sickness, and hand washing is a proven way to reduce the risk of illness.
- Source Beauty Bar Soap. Aldi also sells bar soap if the gel bottles aren’t available or aren’t what you’re looking for.
- Source Invigorating Gel Advanced Hand Sanitizer. This alcohol-based option is quick and easy to use.
- Household Cleaning Products, Aldi Style. Aldi has a number of cleaning products, including Radiance Disinfecting Wipes, if you have reason to deep clean.
- Aldi Does Toilet Paper. Because this seems to be a high-demand item in a pandemic.
- Welby Extra Strength Acetaminophen + Welby Ibuprofen. For fever reduction, Aldi stocks a couple of over-the-counter options.
- We Tested the Aldi Instacart Delivery Service. Keep in mind that if things get serious, there may not be nearly enough Instacart workers to meet demand. That said, Aldi does have a method for home delivery (or store pickup in some areas) for a fee.
- As Coronavirus Spreads, Instacart Introduces “Leave at My Door Delivery”. In case you’re looking to limit close contact.